193rd GIR Realism Unit | Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What book do you all read!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tadlock [193rd RET]
Honorably Discharged.

Tadlock [193rd RET]

What book do you all read! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 27 2017, 19:49

Right know I have to read Romeo and Juliet RIP Pfc.Tadlock
Back to top Go down
Kirch [193rd GIR]
Second Lieutenant, O-1.

Kirch [193rd GIR]

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 28 2017, 12:43

I've recently started reading Fireforce by Chris Cocks, a first hand account of his experiences in the Rhodesian Light Infantry during the mid-late 70s fighting against the Communist insurgency in the country. Pretty interesting stuff so far, lots of parallels to Vietnam. The Fireforce tactic they used was essentially getting a report of enemy activity and then scrambling out in helicopters and planes to assault by air (typical air assault by helo, combined with combat parachute drops.) An interesting take on COIN operations, reminds me of reading about the French and Foreign Legion guys who would para into Indochina to fight the Viet Minh.

Anyways, I'm only a few chapters in but I would recommend it, gives an interesting perspective on a war that, at least here in the States, you don't hear about very often at all.

For a dirty commie, I sure do read a lot of books about commies getting whacked...
Back to top Go down
Keiser [5th RB]
Technician 5th Grade, E-5.

Keiser [5th RB]

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02 2017, 14:05

I'm just started reading Shogun by James Clavell, it's been pretty hard to put down.
Back to top Go down
Nixon
Recruit.

Nixon

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 03 2017, 23:33

Stephan King books mainly although I do read on occasion Lord Of the Rings
Back to top Go down
Glarbog [5th 112]
Recruit.

Glarbog [5th 112]

PostSubject: Re: What books do you all read?   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 18 2017, 15:19

Myself, I like the Golden Age of Science Fiction, speaking of which I need to read more Dune, Asimov, the author of Starship Troopers who's named I sadly forget, and Hubbard. I also enjoy those dry and political books everyone else hates from time to time. Also, who can forget some good Tom Clancy novels too?
Back to top Go down
Ponzu [193rd GIR]
Private First Class, E-6.

Ponzu [193rd GIR]

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 18 2017, 21:29

Me Me Big Boy. That's a good book
Back to top Go down
Lippa [193rd RET]
Honorably Discharged.

Lippa [193rd RET]

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 16 2018, 19:20

i dont read much, im kind of illiterate meaning it takes me half a day to read 5 paged lolz... my comprehension isnt that great, and i have a hard time divinding my time and setting time aside to read sooo... when i have read ive read military books such as black hawk down, and band of brothers (didnt finish those), ive also read a good bit of world war Z. and i read all the way through the hobbit, which i was extremely proud of myself for lol, and my newest goal is the lord of the rings.... some day, some how lol.
Back to top Go down
Thornton [193rd GIR]
Technical Sergeant, E-2.

Thornton [193rd GIR]

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 17 2018, 12:18

Just reread Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. It was a fuckin' journey. It was so long by the time I got done I felt illiterate lol. Anyway I'm workin' through World War Z at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Lippa [193rd RET]
Honorably Discharged.

Lippa [193rd RET]

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 17 2018, 15:56

world war z was fucking awsome, just hadnt life got in the way af me finishing it. i cant wait till i hop back on the tolkien band wagon
Back to top Go down
Kirch [193rd GIR]
Second Lieutenant, O-1.

Kirch [193rd GIR]

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 24 2018, 11:42

Recently finished up re-reading The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, a personal favourite of mine and now I'm getting started with T.E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom
Back to top Go down
Thornton [193rd GIR]
Technical Sergeant, E-2.

Thornton [193rd GIR]

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 26 2018, 12:30

Had to read Heart of Darkness for Senior Year. I liked it, but since I was assigned work with it I also hated it too... Right now I'm going through "The Founding Rivals", a book about how James Madison and James Monroe absolutely hated each other and how that affected American politics at that time.
Back to top Go down
Kirch [193rd GIR]
Second Lieutenant, O-1.

Kirch [193rd GIR]

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 26 2018, 13:55

I'm convinced nothing ruins books quite like school, I hated Moby Dick for YEARS because having to do all the lame homework killed it.

I've actually recently picked up the whole "Marlow narratives" series so I plan on cracking that open soon and maybe moving on to Conrad's other works.

Back to top Go down
Kirch [193rd GIR]
Second Lieutenant, O-1.

Kirch [193rd GIR]

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptyWed May 09 2018, 00:08

I've been reading "The Worst Journey in the World" by Apsley Cherry-Garrard, about the 1910-1913 Scott expedition to the South Pole of Antarctica. Pretty interesting stuff, maybe a bit esoteric with his very detailed pages about what supplies they brought and various scientific things but I find it quite interesting regardless. Crazy to think about the odd mix of sledges, horses, and dogs they used all delivered by sailing ship. Early 20th century has always been an interesting mix of old and new to me.
Back to top Go down
Shortback [193rd GIR]
Generally Discharged.

Shortback [193rd GIR]

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptyWed May 09 2018, 13:46

Right now I'm reading "Lords of the Sky," it's a non-fiction book all about the evolution of aviation. It's described as "The history of aviation from the Red Baron to the F-16." It's really good, and quite long.
Back to top Go down
Moxley [193rd RET]
Honorably Discharged.

Moxley [193rd RET]

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptyThu May 10 2018, 21:05

my fav book is animal farm by george orwell
Back to top Go down
Moxley [193rd RET]
Honorably Discharged.

Moxley [193rd RET]

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptySun May 20 2018, 17:48

my fav boom, has to be Where The Side Walk Ends by Shel Silverstein
Back to top Go down
Lippa [193rd RET]
Honorably Discharged.

Lippa [193rd RET]

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23 2018, 17:39

still think that sounds like a childrens book my 3rd grade teacher would make us read.... i haven't read anything since the hobbit, a good year ago.... im illiterate.
Back to top Go down
Moxley [193rd RET]
Honorably Discharged.

Moxley [193rd RET]

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptyWed May 23 2018, 20:18

best book is anything by H.P. Lovecraft
Back to top Go down
Sekulich [193rd Ret]
Honorably Discharged.

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptyFri May 25 2018, 00:09

Think I’m gonna start Band of Brothers soon. Just realized earlier tonight that I still haven’t gotten around to it yet. Ya know, during our discussion about discharging people who haven’t seen the minisiries yet...
Back to top Go down
D'eSean [193rd GIR]
Generally Discharged.

D'eSean [193rd GIR]

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 EmptySat May 26 2018, 18:10

I'm actually just learning how to read! If you guys have any recommendations, please let me know! :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book do you all read!   What book do you all read! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What book do you all read!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
193rd GIR Realism Unit | Forums :: Archive Section :: 193rd GIR Archive :: General Discussion-
Jump to: